Resources for the Public

Q & A's from the IRS

Where’s my refund?

More than 90 percent of refunds are issued in less than 21 days. IRS representatives will not provide individual refund information over the telephone before then. You can easily track your refund by using the Where’s My Refund tool. It’s available on and on the smart phone app, IRS2GO. The tool provides the most up-to-date information available.


I didn’t get my W-2

Employers are required to send to their employees a Form W-2, Statement of Earnings, by January 31. You should allow enough time for the form to be mailed to your address of record. If they do not receive a W-2 by mid-February, you should make your first call to your employer. You should make sure your employer has your correct address. After exhausting options with employers, you can contact the IRS, and we will send a letter to your company. However, we would urge you to call the IRS after President’s Day week to avoid long wait times.


I need a copy of my tax return

IRS transcripts are often used to validate income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications and during tax preparation. You, or your tax preparer (if they have power of attorney on file) can order a return or complete Form 4506-T. More information is on


I Can’t Pay My Tax Bill

If you can’t pay your tax bill in full, you can easily set up a payment plan by using the Online Payment Agreement application. You may be eligible for a short-term extension or a basic monthly payment plan.



View All Public Resources