Controller at MMIA
The Montana Municipal Interlocal Authority (MMIA) is looking for a Certified Public Accountant to join our finance team as a Controller to help build a strong, efficient workgroup. Based in Helena Montana, MMIA is a Risk Retention Pool serving cities and towns in Montana. MMIA offers coverage that includes Liability/Property, Workers’ Compensation and Employee Benefits. To learn more, visit our website at https://mmia.net/
This position is part of the career ladder being developed for our finance department. In addition to other duties, the successful candidate for this position will be expected to develop and foster career development of employees in the finance department to help them advance their professional growth.
The Controller is responsible for maintaining accounting, budgetary, internal control, and accounting policies and procedures that ensure the safeguarding of assets and the integrity of financial transactions and reporting data. The Controller analyzes and implements the accounting structure necessary for new programs and entities as well as revisions to the accounting structure necessary for changes to existing programs. The Controller performs a variety of routine and complex clerical, administrative, and technical work in planning, coordinating, and administering the accounting aspects of the various programs and products offered by the MMIA.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Manages MMIA’s accounting services and activities including accounting, cash management, accounts payable, billing, revenue collection and reporting.
• Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administer policies and procedures; develops and establishes controls necessary to ensure accuracy and security of all financial records.
• Assists in the development of program budgets; works as assigned with department managers to establish budgets for new initiatives and ongoing staffing, contracts, equipment, materials, and supplies as well as identifying necessary capital expenditures.
• Participates in the management of MMIA’s budget systems. Reviews all disbursements for variances from approved budget and initiates action to ensure budget control is maintained.
• Coordinates MMIA’s annual program audits; serves as a liaison between MMIA and the auditors in the collection of necessary information for the audit.
• Manages random audit functions with the membership to ensure appropriate reporting and premium calculations.
• Manages billing and collection of all revenues.
• Timely prepares financial reports and statements as assigned, which may include monthly financial statements and reports, annual financial reports, and reports required by outside governmental agencies. Analyzes reports to ensure conformance with generally accepted accounting principles.
Assists with the administration of MMIA’s investments; ensures investments and related earnings are properly accounted for in the financial system.
• Assists with the coordination of MMIA’s banking services and is responsible for bank transfers, wire transfers and other miscellaneous transfers through bank; coordinates and resolves questions between bank and MMIA on cash management aspects.
• Assists in leading the Finance Department by providing training and guidance as needed and participating in hiring and onboarding processes.
Competencies required for completing duties are typically acquired with the following minimum education and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or related field.
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
• Certified Public Accountant certification required.
• Supervisor experience and/or training preferred.
Starting wage for this position will be between $82,824 to $92,568 depending on experience.
December 17, 2021
How to Apply:
Please complete the online application at Careers – Montana Municipal Interlocal Authority https://mmia.net/ or email your resumé and cover letter to Derrek Shepherd at the contact information below.
Short application submitted via indeed or other sites will not be accepted.
This recruitment will close on December 17, 2021
Questions? Contact Derrek Shepherd, HR Consultant at email@example.com or 406-495-7017.